With help from Safavieh, a pair of empty nesters upsize into a new home that’s a custom work of art.
Many couples downsize when their children leave the nest, but a Glen Head, New York, family chose to do the opposite. “We raised our kids in a fairly small home, and when they grew up, my husband and I decided it was time to spread our wings a bit,” says the mother of three. “It wasn’t easy. Almost every large home we looked at was tired and needed major renovations. Then we found this home, which had already been thoughtfully updated, and we snapped it up.”
The rambling ranch was movein ready, but the couple wanted all-new furnishings. Enter David Nasseri, a designer at Safavieh’s Glen Cove store. “The homeowners were moving away from traditional, but they didn’t want modern,” he notes, “so our solution was elegant, transitional décor.”
With broad corridors and doorways and the linear layout typical of a ranch, the house offers pleasing sightlines from one space to another, a feature that raised the design stakes for Nasseri. “For example, you can see the dining room clearly from the kitchen and the living room,” he explains. “Plain fabric on the dining room chairs would have been a wasted opportunity, so I selected a bold, graphic pattern for the chair backs. It’s exciting from any distance.” He also accented the dining room with champagne, a color he used in the kitchen and living room as well, to strengthen the visual connection between spaces.
In the television room, which too many families regard as a purely utilitarian den, Nasseri was convinced that comfort and sizzle could coexist. He paired a sectional sofa with dramatic accent chairs, contemporary sculpture and a cocktail ottoman. Functional and fun, the ottoman has a center well for
drinks and an upholstered surface for resting feet or seating. A built-in bar completes the room.
Almost all of the furniture in the house features custom fabric and finishes. Taking advantage of Safavieh’s established relationships and buying power with top brands, Nasseri was able to have all the custom pieces made and delivered in eight to 10 weeks. In other words, the empty nesters didn’t have long to wait for the end result: a uniquely furnished, highly custom work of art in which to enjoy the next phase of their life together.
- Kips Bay Charmer - Designed for relaxed living, this apartment has touches of glamour that also make it perfect for entertaining.
- Windows on the Sound - Safavieh designers bring a visual drama to a Gatsby- era showhouse on Long Island's North Shore.
- The Last Word with Thom Filicia - The makeover maven touts the importance of simplicity and surprise.
- Master of Modern - In the virtuoso interiors of Thomas O’Brien, traditional elements are always used to modern effect.
- Room to Roam - Soaring, light- filled spaces and a cozy den lend variety to a designer show house.
- From The Painter’s Studio - Do look down: that gorgeous Safavieh rug beneath your feet was literally designed by hand.