Creating a home for a client they never met, an intrepid pair of Safavieh designers makes everyone happy.
Personal chemistry usually plays a role in the choice of an interior designer. So it was unusual—almost unheard of, in fact—when a group of Asian friends from the San Francisco area commissioned Safavieh remotely to create their new East Coast homes, never having met the design team. First up would be a newly constructed house, which you see here, in Short Hills, New Jersey.
The project was embraced by Esther Rubin and Michelle Townsend, designers based at Safavieh’s Paramus showroom. “The client’s wishes were simple,” says Rubin. “Keep each room on the contemporary side of traditional style. Make the color palette neutral—whites and grays.” Other than neutrals, color in the finished rooms comes from accents alone— paintings on the walls, plants and flowers, metallic trim and the occasional throw pillow.
Says Townsend, “Design in absentia actually worked quite well. We emailed and texted photographs, and used regular mail to send fabric swatches. The client approved choices every step of the way. Even so, having the client step into the finished space sight unseen was a bit unnerving, but—whew!— they were very happy with their new home. And now that the client has moved in, we’re continuing to work together on some finishing touches.”
The lesson seems clear: In the digital age, distance need not be a barrier to success in personalized, custom interior design—especially when you choose the right professionals.
- Chart Topper - A new home in Connecticut mixes color and pattern in perfect harmony.
- Liquid Refreshment - Wine cellars and bars are evolving into relaxed, dedicated spaces for entertaining at home.
- The Collector’s Room - In the mythical world of the show house, designers can be as quirky as their hearts desire.
- Go With the Flow - In a home designed for parties, revelers have the right of way in every room.
- Classic Meets Chic - A Gilded Age mansion is being transformed into a high- style hotel with help from Safavieh.
- Safavieh Happenings - Scenes from the latest celebration of style with friends, family, designers and industry partners.