A sleek new home in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, is designed with large-scale entertaining in mind.
The scenario might have intimidated some designers: Here was a client whose background was in manufacturing packaged health foods. He had built factories compliant with innumerable FDA regulations, and now he and his wife were ready to build a home in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey. Would they be perfectionists, difficult to satisfy? “Perfectionists, yes, but the good kind!” says interior designer Faith Hochman. “They’re detail oriented and decisive, which made my job easy.” The homeowners’ brief was to create an airy, light-filled home for entertaining, and Hochman delivered. While the space appears as pristine as a high-tech factory, the look is by no means austere. Plush upholstered pieces from Safavieh beckon guests to sit and relax, while modern light fixtures with dimmed Edison bulbs lend warmth.
Remember mood rings? This home has a mood fireplace: A low river of gas flame dances on a bed of glass stones, which at the touch of a remote control can be made to glow fuschia, blue, yellow or other colors to match the mood of the evening. Another dramatic touch is the swimming pool. The site of the house was steeply sloped, and that presented a unique opportunity to bring the outdoors in. The terraced pool has an infinity edge that faces the house, providing an eye-level “waterfall view” from the living room—a long line of water that serves as a counterpoint to the fireplace’s long line of flame. Free of clutter and with an open plan that flows easily from room to room (and from patio to interior), the home could easily accommodate 100 guests for a warm-weather party.
- BRIGHT BEACON - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Living on Point - At these new luxury rentals in Glen Cove, New York, setting up house has never been easier.
- Renewed Elegance - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Luxe On Fifth - Art Deco sophistication suffuses this apartment on Manhattan's Museum Mile.
- 360o of Cool - In this fullfloor apartment at 10 Sullivan in SoHo, spectacular views are ust part of the appeal.
- In Search of Shanghai - Yes, it’s the top metropolis in the world’s busiest land. Did you know it also sparkles with history, culture, shopping and nightlife?