The last word with… Barclay Butera
“Casual, classic and elegant” describe the designer, his rooms, and his lifestyle collections at Safavieh.
Who is the typical Barclay Butera customer?
I have a remarkably diverse clientele, but one thing they all have in common is they come to me for stunning interiors that are glamorous but comfortable. People do not want to live in museums anymore; they want livable, inviting spaces for families and entertaining. That’s what we do best.
What’s your favorite room in the home?
That’s a tough one, but I have to say the family room. I love thinking about how clients live, arranging the perfect conversation and entertainment space, making sure that there are intimate corners in that room but everyone can still feel connected.
How did you bring your signature style— classic, casual and elegant—to your new collections?
Both the Newport and Brentwood Collections I designed for Lexington Home Brands represent the way I live today. It’s true that I designed many of these pieces for myself, and some of the Newport Collection was actually photographed in my own home in Newport Beach.
What are your favorite design trends this season? Least favorite?
To be honest, I am not really a trend guy. I try not to pay attention! But I can say that I have been seeing a great deal of white, silver and soft pastels lately, and that works for me. My least favorite design trend? Primary colors.
What is the best piece of advice you’ve received about interior design?
Well it’s not exactly advice, but I did get my work ethic from my Mom, who is also an interior designer. I learned the business from the bottom up, and there was no cutting corners. You’ve got to run the race before you can stand on the podium and receive your medal. I did a great deal of running in the early years and it clearly paid off.
What’s next for you?
I have five cocktail books in print and a really cool vision for book number six next year. I have also just opened a real estate firm in Southern California, which offers exceptional synergies with my design business. My third lifestyle collection with Lexington is set to debut in April 2019, and I love the direction it’s taking. If I close my eyes and dream, I’d love to take my brand global. When you dream, dream big!
The collection is available at Safavieh.
- BRIGHT BEACON - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Living on Point - At these new luxury rentals in Glen Cove, New York, setting up house has never been easier.
- Renewed Elegance - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Luxe On Fifth - Art Deco sophistication suffuses this apartment on Manhattan's Museum Mile.
- 360o of Cool - In this fullfloor apartment at 10 Sullivan in SoHo, spectacular views are ust part of the appeal.
- In Search of Shanghai - Yes, it’s the top metropolis in the world’s busiest land. Did you know it also sparkles with history, culture, shopping and nightlife?