Four Floors, River View
For a new row house overlooking the Tappan Zee, designer Natalie Brown of Safavieh created a look that’s both relaxed and elegant.
A glance out the window suggests you’re in Paris, where limestone facades topped by mansard roofs lead the eye down a boulevard to the banks of the Seine. But this “city” is of recent vintage, built on the site of an old Chevrolet plant in Tarrytown, New York, and that river at the end of the street is the Hudson.
Step inside one of these four-story townhouses, and you immediately understand the appeal of suburban townhome living, a trend that’s gaining momentum throughout the New York metro area. This unit is spacious and light-filled, packed with amenities and remarkably sound-proof. A private elevator makes the vertical layout easy to take. Not only are the river views fantastic, the train to Manhattan is a mere two-minute walk. “I thought I’d miss having a large yard,” says one of the homeowners, “but I sure don’t miss the maintenance, and everything our family needs is right here.”
The couple has a summer home in Montauk, and they wanted their new main residence to have the same coastal, if not quite so casual, look. Designer Natalie Brown from Safavieh’s Hartsdale store was happy to oblige. “I describe the design theme as a coastal chinoiserie. It works well here because of the Tappan Zee views and the abundance of natural light,” she explains. Using navy blue as the grounding color, Brown delivered, creating a suburban waterfront home that’s both relaxed and sophisticated.
- BRIGHT BEACON - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Living on Point - At these new luxury rentals in Glen Cove, New York, setting up house has never been easier.
- Renewed Elegance - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Luxe On Fifth - Art Deco sophistication suffuses this apartment on Manhattan's Museum Mile.
- 360o of Cool - In this fullfloor apartment at 10 Sullivan in SoHo, spectacular views are ust part of the appeal.
- In Search of Shanghai - Yes, it’s the top metropolis in the world’s busiest land. Did you know it also sparkles with history, culture, shopping and nightlife?