Endless Ocean Views
Rising above the sand dune, a new beach house was designed to maximize the sense of place.
Since 1992, the Mahoney family has summered in Ship Bottom on New Jersey’s Long Beach Island, where they’re fortunate to have a house on the ocean. When Sandy barreled through in 2012, the beach-front dune, higher and wider than most, held fast and the house was preserved, unlike so many others up and down this barrier island.
As the kids grew, the family considered whether to stay put—protected from storms by that durable dune—or upgrade to a larger home. They decided to do both: They razed the old cottage, and in its place rose a grander, more architecturally distinguished house. The main living area was placed on the second level, providing ocean vistas over the dune to the east as well as views of the bay to the west. There’s even a complete second house for guests, replacing a cottage and bungalow next door, which the Mahoneys also owned. The two new homes are connected by an open-air bridge.
Lorraine Gordon, a designer for Safavieh, was called on to furnish the new home. “It’s unusual to have both sunrise and sunset vistas at a New Jersey Shore house,” says Gordon. The family wanted the design to be all about the views.” She obliged with neutral tones and natural materials that echo the beauty of the dune landscape and the sea itself, without competing with them. The result is as refreshing as an ocean breeze.
- Living on Point - At these new luxury rentals in Glen Cove, New York, setting up house has never been easier.
- Renewed Elegance - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Luxe On Fifth - Art Deco sophistication suffuses this apartment on Manhattan's Museum Mile.
- 360o of Cool - In this fullfloor apartment at 10 Sullivan in SoHo, spectacular views are ust part of the appeal.
- In Search of Shanghai - Yes, it’s the top metropolis in the world’s busiest land. Did you know it also sparkles with history, culture, shopping and nightlife?
- Entertainment Central - A storied Long Island estate house lends itself to warm and elegant gatherings.