A homeowner and her Safavieh designer collaborate on a glamorous retreat.
The Throgs Neck Bridge gets its name from Throggs Neck, a narrow spit of land that separates the East River and Long Island Sound. (Robert Moses dropped the second “g” so the name would fit better on highway signs.) As a neighborhood, Throggs Neck escaped the decay that plagued much of the Bronx in the 1970s. A refreshing breeze blows here much of the time; there are two beaches and various beach clubs. It’s not how most people imagine the Bronx.
When Nadire and Halil Djekovic decided to move from an apartment to a house a bit more than a year ago, there was no question of their leaving Throggs Neck. Nikki and Hal, as they call themselves, bought a somewhat nondescript row house a few blocks from the water and set about to transforming it. They stopped at Safavieh’s Hartsdale store, where the first person they met was designer Melissa Sarhane. “I told Melissa I wanted a glamorous look— chic and clean,” Nikki recalls. “She said, ‘I can do that!’ with so much confidence that we gave her the job.”
The two turned out to be natural collaborators. Together they created a shimmering private haven, and Nikki got all the custom details she wanted. For example, she had always wanted a dressing room that organizes and shows off her world-class collection of shoes; now she has what friends call “a shoe museum.”
Nikki’s only regret is that she’s reached journey’s end on the project: She’s suffering from “design withdrawal” and is imagining how she and Melissa Sarhane might work together on some future commission.
- BRIGHT BEACON - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Living on Point - At these new luxury rentals in Glen Cove, New York, setting up house has never been easier.
- Renewed Elegance - Prewar apartments are prized for spaciousness, graciousness and quality construction. A classic color scheme and sumptuous accents make this beauty shine for a new age.
- Luxe On Fifth - Art Deco sophistication suffuses this apartment on Manhattan's Museum Mile.
- 360o of Cool - In this fullfloor apartment at 10 Sullivan in SoHo, spectacular views are ust part of the appeal.
- In Search of Shanghai - Yes, it’s the top metropolis in the world’s busiest land. Did you know it also sparkles with history, culture, shopping and nightlife?