In a lush estate in New Jersey horse country, the bedrooms are designed as much for living as for slumber.
When it comes to decorating, many homeowners concentrate on rooms for entertaining, giving short shrift to private areas of the house. “That wasn’t the case with my client in New Jersey horse country,” says designer Lila Munem. “When we finished decorating the family room, the hub for gatherings, the owners asked me to move on to the next phase—the bedrooms.
“That made total sense,” she adds. “We spend at least a third of our lives in the bedroom, and the quality of that environment has a direct effect on how we sleep and our sense of well-being.” The owners recognized this, and they wanted the master bedroom to be more than a place for sleeping. They asked Munem to add sectional seating so they could really stretch out with a book in front of the fire.
Open the door to a lush hideaway perfect for sleeping—and living.
Two teenage daughters wanted some glamour in their bedrooms. The older one, age 15 at the time, presented Munem with a swatch of glittering wallpaper she loved. This was Munem’s jumping-off point for a feminine retreat where a girl could also write a mean term paper or study for midterms, but where any adult would feel at ease.
The younger daughter’s bedroom is equally feminine, and it, too, is designed to grow with its occupant. Luxe touches like a mirrored vanity and slipper chair encourage lingering.
“My philosophy is that every room in the house should be beautiful and designed for living,” says Munem. “When you’re nodding off to sleep or just waking up, beauty really matters!”
- Chart Topper - A new home in Connecticut mixes color and pattern in perfect harmony.
- Liquid Refreshment - Wine cellars and bars are evolving into relaxed, dedicated spaces for entertaining at home.
- The Collector’s Room - In the mythical world of the show house, designers can be as quirky as their hearts desire.
- Go With the Flow - In a home designed for parties, revelers have the right of way in every room.
- Classic Meets Chic - A Gilded Age mansion is being transformed into a high- style hotel with help from Safavieh.
- Safavieh Happenings - Scenes from the latest celebration of style with friends, family, designers and industry partners.