The living is easy—and elegant—at this beachfront jewel in Turks and Caicos thanks to Design MACS and Safavieh.
It’s not often a New Jersey-based company is asked to work on the interiors of a ground-up build on newly purchased beachfront land in Turks and Caicos. But when the client is local, serendipity is in the cards. Marissa Sauer, owner and lead designer of Design MACS, understood just what the client wanted. “The property itself is unique,” she explains. “It was purchased with the intention of turning it into a luxury vacation rental from the start, so we set out to create a place that was flexible for both individual and group rentals depending on high or low season.”
Working hand-in-hand with the builder, Paul Chaplin of NorStar Group, Sauer visited every eight weeks or so to check on the progress. What resulted was Villa Viatu—two luxurious open-concept duplexes just steps away from Pelican Bay Beach on the island of Providenciales, with breathtaking views of the ocean. Each duplex floor consists of one two-bedroom suite with en-suite bathrooms and an adjacent studio suite—all with fully equipped kitchens, dining areas and living areas. The ground-floor living areas open up to the pool (complete with a heated spa and plentiful chaise lounges), while the upper floors enjoy a spacious balcony for al fresco dining and breezy nights.
Since the island lacked in furniture stores despite shining in natural beauty, Sauer decided to simplify the process and outfitted the interiors almost fully with furniture from Safavieh’s Paramus, N.J., store. With help from Safavieh designer Michelle Townsend, who Sauer described as knowing the many available collections “like the back of her hands,” the process was pretty seamless. While each suite’s elegant yet beachperfect furniture mostly keeps to the theme, there are subtle differences that give each suite personality— from differing turquoise and aqua hued artworks to ocean-themed accessories, and variously scaled coffee tables and mirrored finishes. The result is an elegant villa that offers the sense of a private resort. An outdoor kitchen, a hammock area, and a newly added fire pit add to the property’s allure. And it’s location on Tranquility Lane? Well that’s just perfect.
- Kips Bay Charmer - Designed for relaxed living, this apartment has touches of glamour that also make it perfect for entertaining.
- Windows on the Sound - Safavieh designers bring a visual drama to a Gatsby- era showhouse on Long Island's North Shore.
- The Last Word with Thom Filicia - The makeover maven touts the importance of simplicity and surprise.
- Master of Modern - In the virtuoso interiors of Thomas O’Brien, traditional elements are always used to modern effect.
- Room to Roam - Soaring, light- filled spaces and a cozy den lend variety to a designer show house.
- From The Painter’s Studio - Do look down: that gorgeous Safavieh rug beneath your feet was literally designed by hand.